Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

HANDWRITTEN

So I'm pretty obsessed with typography. You could say that I have a slight problem with buying things just because the font looks great on it i.e. uneccesary notebooks, binders, t-shirts I'll never wear, and this really unflattering foil like tote bag. I love a cool font and I think a font can change the way any ordinarily plain message can come across. I like all forms of printing too, but I'd have to say my favorite way to see great fonts come alive is via letterpress.

As I dive into this crazy thing called wedding planning, I've been thinking a lot about my invitations. I think the invites will set the tone for the event and the font plays an integral role in that. There's so many options and thanks to places like Pinterest and Wedding Gawker, I can't seem to figure out just what I want. I think that's what I'm stressing over most. Not the dress. The invites. What a weirdo.

One thing I have decided on is that I'd like to hand address my invites. Even though I love a printed envelope, I think handwritten is more personal. Now that I have this idea I've been scouring the internet for calligraphy ideas. I used to think calligraphy was a stuffy super fancy form of cursive that just wasn't me, but over the last couple years my eyes have been opened to a whole new way of writing thanks to blogs and now Pinterest.

Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image
Pinned Image

Pinned Image
All images via Pinterest (just search 'Calligraphy')

After seeing these images I've been practicing like crazy to try and duplicate this writing. It's freaking hard. And finding the right pen/marker/whatever to do it with is even harder. I spent 20 bucks at Michaels the other day just buying different markers to see what I like best. Any suggestions? I'm also now slightly infatuated with stamps. I want big chunky ones like the 3rd envelope picture up there.

I'm hoping if I practice a few times a week for the rest of the year I'll be pretty good at it by the time my invites need to go out. Here's to hoping. God. What have I got myself into!?

No comments: